Saturday, October 21, 2006

DAM fine

Arabic rap at the Barbican 20 October 2006

More musical delights last night. I meet BT at the Barbican and we were drawn towards the freestyle stage by the sound of rappers singing in Arabic. It was DAM doing their sound check for a free performance as part of the Ramadan Nights festival. I first heard about this group on BBC Radio 1 Extra, on the award winning documentary Hip Hop in the Holy Land.

DAM are possibly one of the biggest Arab rap groups in the Middle East. Mahmoud, Tamer and his brother Suhell are Israeli-Palestinian’s living in Lod. According to Tamer, Lod is the major drug market of the region and being located just 20 minutes from Tel Aviv and they are living with the daily reality of being an oppressed community.

I asked Mahmoud a very direct question but one I felt he was confident he could answer. I wanted to know what has stopped him from being one of those kids that walks into a crowded Israeli bar and blow himself up. For him, ‘his music and lyrics are more deadly’.

DAM also speak out about social issues including the treatment of women within their community and one of my favourite tracks is Freedom For My Sisters.

Guys - thanks for signing the new CD 'Dedication'. Mahmoud keep the non violent communication going – you will be heard and one day I hope you will see flowers from your window.

Official DAM website
www.dampalestine.com

Hip Hop in the Holy Land. http://www.bbc.co.uk/1xtra/tx/documentaries/hiphopintheholyland.shtml

No comments: